Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), also called menopausal hormone therapy and estrogen replacement therapy, is an effective treatment for perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms.
During peri and menopause, estrogen levels fall, resulting in unpleasant symptoms such as hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and night sweats. HRT corrects the changes in hormone levels providing symptom relief. Here are 5 facts about HRT every woman should know.
- Systemic HRT is the most effective treatment for hot flashes and night sweats.
- HRT comes in several forms including pill, patch, gel, cream, or pellets.
- There are different types of HRT. Some have only one hormone, while others have a combination. Combination therapy has been shown to reduce cardiovascular disease as well as Osteoporosis and certain cancers.
- HRT is the most effective treatment for premature menopause, when periods stop before age 40. This could be secondary to surgical menopause too. Those with premature menopause are at a higher risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, anxiety or depression.
- Women who have been diagnosed or had breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, blood clots, stroke, liver disease, or unexplained vaginal bleeding are typically not good candidates for hormone therapy.
To determine if HRT is a viable treatment option for you, consult with your doctor about your symptoms and health risks.