When Diets Don’t Work: Epic Fail!
When asked if I have a favorite diet, I reply with “the one you will stick to!” Diets are usually a quick fix to drop unwanted weight.
When asked if I have a favorite diet, I reply with “the one you will stick to!” Diets are usually a quick fix to drop unwanted weight. The word “diet” typically has a negative connotation. What if we changed our mindset and looked at making small changes to create a lifestyle we can maintain. We can start losing weight with these small changes that can add up to the desired weight loss and then we do not continue to “fight” to keep it off.
So, what are small steps we can implement to create a healthy lifestyle?
- Lose the “all or none” mentality. This can be detrimental. Remember we want to make small changes that will transform into something better.
- Slowly remove things from your diet that are not benefiting your health. Reduce eating out, split meals/eat smaller portions, reduce soda/coffee/alcohol, reduce processed foods, etc.
- Change your view on exercise. Exercise should feel good to your body, not just physically but mentally. Explore different exercise or movement formats and classes to find the one’s your body and mind respond to positively.
- Cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness is the act of being in the present moment. Practicing mindfulness, even for just a few minutes a day, can help you truly understand what you need and guide you to make better decisions over time.
- Find ways to activate your body. We have incredible pathways in our bodies that when activated can slow down the aging process, reduce cellular inflammation and encourage vitality.
Abandoning “dieting” is just the beginning of feeling good about yourself. Change your concept of diet to lifestyle and create one you can live by. It is fluid and you will continue to transform throughout your life.